In a statement on Wednesday, Alphabet Inc’s Google said it will contribute $25 million towards fighting fake news and will contribute the fund in the newly set up European Media and Information Fund. The development comes midst criticism that tech giants are not doing enough to fight online mis-sinformation.
Last week, the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and the European University Institute launched the European Media and Information Fund, with the aim to enlist researchers, fact-checkers, not-for-profits and other public interest-oriented bodies to help fight fake news.
“While navigating the uncertainty and challenges of the last year, it has proven more important than ever for people to access accurate information, and sort facts from fiction,” said Matt Brittin, head of Google’s EMEA Business & Operations, in a blog post. The fund has a duration of five years.