“Key Milestone” Announced By Boeing With U.S. Air Force For Missile System

Following its presentation of design options for America’s next intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) in front of the US Air Force, a “key milestone” in a major contract with the air force has bene bagged by U.S. aerospace giant Boeing Company, it said on Friday.

“We offered the Air Force cost and performance trades for a deterrent that will address emerging and future threats,” said Frank McCall, vice president of Boeing Strategic Deterrence Systems.

He said that before the Air Force moves on to e next stage of the contract, it may set priorities for the requirements of its system by evaluating and considering various capabilities and opportunities that can reduce the costs of he systems.

The review was termed as an “achievement of a key contract milestone” by Boeing.

In August last year, a contract worth 349 million U.S. dollars was awarded to Boeing by the US Air Force. That contract was in relation to maturing of the GBSD weapon system design which is slated to replace the old and to replace the aging Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile system.

“The Minuteman III is 45 years old. It is time to upgrade,” Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein said last year at the time when Boeing was being awarded the contract.

A systems requirements review was completed by Boeing last November and the company is slated to conduct a system functional review some time later this year. The preliminary design review would be presented to the Air Force in 2020 by the U.S. aerospace giant.

While the replacement procedure of the Minuteman III ICBM will not begin until the late 2020s, the US military considers the GBSD weapon system to be a very reliable deterrent to nuclear threats during the period of the next 50-plus years.

Earlier, the U.S. Air Force also got in to a contract with Boeing to design, modify, test, certify and deliver two Air Force aircrafts for eh President if the United States by 2024.

This contract is a result of a contract that was reached between Dennis Muilenburg, Boeing chairman, president, and CEO and President Donald Trumpon February 20, 2018. The cost of the two completed Air Force One replacement aircrafts has been set at $3.9 billion which would save the US treasury more than $1.4 billion.

The modification in the contract comprises of the firm fixed-price of the company and is also comprised of over-and-above provisions to cater to both presidential quality items, or additional test effort induced by the government above the planned program baseline.

The next Air Force One fleet is expected by the Air Force to be delivered by 2024.

(Adapted from Xinhaunet.com)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s