Rejecting a petition filed by China’s ZTE Corp, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) stated, the Chinese company continues to be a national security threat to the United States’ communications networks.
In June, the FCC had designated China;s Huawei Technologies Co and ZTE as threats to national security and had bared the duo from accessing U.S. government funds.
ZTE did not immediately respond to requests for comments.
Last week, the FCC said it was extending time frame to respond to Huawei’s petition until Dec. 11 “to fully and adequately consider the voluminous record.”
In May 2019, U.S. President Donald Trump had signed an executive order which bars U.S. companies from using telecommunications equipment made by companies which pose as national security risks and had added Huawei to its trade blacklist.
On December 10, the FCC is set to vote on rules to help carriers remove and replace equipment from companies posing systemic national security risks from networks.
Last week, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai had said, the FCC will take up two unspecified national security matters at its upcoming meeting.
In April 2020, the FCC had stated, the U.S. operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies: China Telecom, China Unicom and Pacific Networks Corp and its subsidiary ComNet (USA) face potential closure.
Last week, the FCC had said it was reclaiming International Signaling Point Codes assigned to China Telecom (Americas), after it determined that “the three codes are no longer in use.”
China Telecom did not immediately comment.
In October 2020, the FCC had asked the Justice Department to weigh in on whether China Unicom’s U.S operations pose security risks.
In May 2019, the FCC had voted unanimously to deny China Mobile, a Chinese state-owned company, the right to provide U.S. services, citing national security concerns that Beijing could use the approval to conduct espionage against the U.S. government.